Daily Leadership Message
CANDOR: Graciously telling the hard truth and demanding to hear it from others. (Q3.3).
Graciously Telling The Hard Truth And Demanding to Hear It From Others
Candor is the first of the 5Cs, the F3 Leadership Characteristics. These are the attributes that enable the Q to be what a Leader is. In contrast, Leadership Skills are the abilities that enable the Q to do what a Leader does. Candor is not a Skill, it is a Characteristic.
The dictionary defines candor as a state or quality of being frank, open and sincere in speech or expression; free from bias, fair and impartial. F3’s definition is a little different and a lot shorter: Candor simply means graciously telling the hard truth.
It is not that sincerity is bad or that freedom from bias is not an aspirational Virtue, but only that truth is more important
Sincerity can be faked (and usually is), and no man is ever completely free from bias. It is better for a Leader to say what he truly believes and disclose his biases so his followers can assess for themselves how sincere and fair he is.
Candor (the F3 type) is rare. We have come to live in a culture that elevates individual subjective feelings over the sharp discourse necessary to any search for universal truth, where a sincerely held belief (no matter how factually flimsy) trumps all else.
For Goo Nation, any confrontation to an individual’s untested thesis with a diametrical antithesis is deemed “hate speech” because it forces the person to confront the proposition:
• that his emotions may be unreliable
• that there may be more data he should consider
• that there may be work to do to get at the truth
• that he is going to have to Move
If everybody is thinking alike, then nobody is thinking at all
George Patton (a man more than willing to speak hard truth) said that “if everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking”. This reflects the implicit flip side of Candor, that a Leader is not only a man who tells the hard truth, but who also demands to hear it from others. A Leader is suspicious of his own emotions because they reflect his subjectivity, biases and fear more than reality. Without hard truth he cannot clearly see the whole picture. He knows that there will always be more work to do to get at the truth. That’s what makes it hard.
His willingness to do it is what makes him a Leader.
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
Be careful to obey all these words that I command you, that it may go well with you and with your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the Lord your God.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him
- “The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind the scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel.” Steven Furtik
- “The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just have to find the ones that are worth hurting for.” Bob Marley
- “Life is really very simple. What we give out, we get back. Every thought we think is creating our future.” Louise Hay
Daily Storytelling Time
We make them cry who care for us.
We cry for those who never care for us.
And we care for those who will never cry for us.
This is the truth of life., its strange but true.
Once you realize this, its never too late to change.
- Bad is Easy, Good is Hard
- Losing is Easy, Winning is Hard.
- Talking is Easy, Listening is Hard.
- Watching TV is Easy, Reading is Hard.
- Giving advice is Easy, Taking advice is Hard.
- Flab is Easy, Muscle is Hard.
- Stop is Easy, Go is Hard.
- Dirty is Easy, Clean is Hard.
- Take is Easy, Give is Hard.
- Dream is Easy, Think is Hard.
- Lying is Easy, Truth is Hard.
- Sleeping is Easy, Waking is Hard.
- Talking about God is Easy, Pray to God is Hard.
- Holding a grudge is Easy, Forgiving is Hard.
- Telling a secret is Easy, Keeping a secret is Hard.
- Play is Easy, Work is Hard.
- Falling is Easy, Getting up is Hard.
- Spending is Easy, Saving is Hard.
- Eating is Easy, Dieting is Hard.
- Doubt is Easy, Faith is Hard.
- Laughter is Easy, Tears are Hard.
- Criticizing is Easy, Taking criticism is Hard.
- Letting go is Easy, Hanging on is Hard.
- Secret sin is Easy, Confession is Hard.
- Pride is Easy, Humility is Hard.
- Excusing oneself is Easy, Excusing others is Hard.
- Borrowing is Easy, Paying back is Hard.
- Argument is Easy, Negotiation is Hard.
- Naughty is Easy, Nice is Hard.
- Going along is Easy, Walking alone is Hard.
- Dumb is Easy, Smart is Hard.
- Cowardice is Easy, Bravery is Hard.
- Messy is Easy, Neat is Hard.
- War is Easy, Peace is Hard.
- Sarcasm is Easy, Sincerity is Hard.
- Growing weeds is Easy, Growing flowers is Hard.
- Reaction is Easy, Action is Hard.
- Can’t do is Easy, Can do is Hard.
- Feasting is Easy, Fasting is Hard.
- Following is Easy, Leading is Hard.
- Having friend is Easy, Being a friend is Hard.
- Dying is Easy, Living is Hard.
The best things about life are Hard. You have to work hard to get them. That is life! Do The Hard Things In Life. They matter most the succeed