LEGACY: What a Virtuous Leader leaves behind through the Effective performance of his Mission during his life. (Q4.1).
WHAT THE Q LEAVES BEHIND THROUGH THE EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE OF HIS MISSION DURING HIS LIFE
Legacy is the Fourth Quadrant of the Q.
• The First Quadrant, The DRP, is about the Q’s relationships with himself, his Concentrica and his Creator
• The Second Quadrant, IMPACT, is about the strong effect the Q has through forcible contact
• The Third Quadrant, Group Leadership, is about the Q’s Influence upon the Groups in which he is a Member
• The Fourth Quadrant, Legacy , is about what the Q leaves behind—it is the sum total his IMPACT and Group Leadership
A Leader is a man who has Influence while he is in close Proximity. A good Leader is a man who continues to Influence from a distance. A Virtuous Leader’s Influence survives his death through his Legacy.
Legacy is the hallmark of the Virtuous Leader.
To leave a Legacy a man must first nurture his relationships through the DRP, then have IMPACT and ultimately provide Leadership within his Groups. That is why Legacy is the fourth Quadrant—it will not happen without the first three.
To leave a Legacy, a man must build something that outlasts him
IMPACT alone will not guarantee Legacy. For that, the Q must do something more if he wants his Influence to outlast his days on earth. He must be a builder of Effective Organizations and Dynamic Teams.
An Effective Organization realizes its Articulated Purpose. A Dynamic Team accomplishes its Mission and serves the Community or Organization of which it is part.
The Q’s Legacy is not based on what hedoes, but what is done by his followers through the Groups he Leads.
Legacy Continues Here
2 Timothy 4:6-8
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.
One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts.
Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Wealth and riches are in his house, and his righteousness endures forever
- “Keep on going, and the chances are that you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I’ve never heard of anyone ever stumbling on something sitting down.” — Charles F. Kettering
- “Whenever you see a successful person, you only see the public glories, never the private sacrifices to reach them.” –Vaibhav Shah
- “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.” –Vince Lombardi
Leaders Leading Leaders
My grandfather (Gung-Gung) and I were best friends. He believed in me when others didn’t. He passed away my first year of college when I was away. In his last few years he had to have both of his legs partially amputated below the knees due to infection from of all things, a bee sting! But he had a positive attitude the whole way through to the end. It’s been 22 years since he has passed and I still miss him dearly. You better believe if he was still around I’d be pushing him in SPEED FOR NEED racing chair as many weekends as I could!
My grandmother (Popo) wouldn’t need any speed, based on the way she drove! She was one of the hardest working ladies I know and passed 10yrs after my Gung-Gung. She passed away days before our trip to Hawaii, and didn’t get to see her first great grandchild Molly, although I am sure she sees her just fine in Heaven now and just smiles.
I stopped by the cemetery before a friends birthday party just to pay my respects. The two of them, and so many others, have left an amazing legacy as seen through my family and the others they impacted in their lives. And coming to visit was a great reminder of that.
Question: Years from now, if someone you have loved or influenced in your life thinks about you long after you are gone, what would they remember? That’s the question on my mind.
Thanks for everything Popo and Gung-Gung. I love you guys.